Skip to main content

Today was the day

 Today was the day that I have been looking forward to/dreading for eleven years. Today was the day that my firstborn girl turned 11 years old.

Isn't that wonderful? Isn't it exciting that she's getting older? Yes, that's true, but the reason why I dreaded this day, has unearthed emotions and memories for me that are kind of hard to digest. Let me explain: 

This day not only is the day that my daughter turned 11, nor is it the day that we celebrate those that served and fought for our freedom in the military, but this day was also the birthday of a very special person that left this earth far too soon. 

Her name was Kristen Nielsen. She was my cousin and very best friend. Her birthday and my daughter's birthday are the same, and there's a very special thing to that, because Kristen died when she and I were both eleven years old. 

It is because of this parallel, that I struggle with today. You see, as happy and as wonderful as it was to celebrate my daughter's birth today, I watched her cute little eleven year old self, and I realized, to my horror, that I was that same age, that kind of cute little girl, when my cousin and best friend died. And then my innocent and happy-go-lucky view of life was forever changed. Flipped on its head. Gone forever. 

So my hugs to my daughter today were many, and were very tight. My birthday wish to her was that she will still see good in the world, even when there seems to be an increase in so much bad. My heart ached for her when she smilingly and happily shared that her closest friends sent her birthday wishes. I am happy for her and for her happiness, and I am simultaneously still mourning the loss of my eleven year old self, all those years ago, when life suddenly became so very real at the loss of a loved one. 

We can't let the darkness get us. Life has so much good, so much laughter and happiness and joy in it, and it's even more poignant in these turbulent times. Losing my cousin was and is still such a big deal to me, because it was the hinge point of my life. It changed my scenery and journey for several years, as I mucked my way through darkness and despair, at a devastatingly young and vulnerable time.

BUT...I had angels in my path, the entire time. The Lord doesn't leave us, and I am proof of that. No matter how hard my depression or my anxiety has been over these years, whether it was through no medication or through medication adjustments, or finally finding the 'sweet spot' of the magical dosage, to lifestyle changes and acceptance that I am just not going to be completely healed at this time in my life; I realize now that I'm really okay. I have learned to love myself the way that I am, and I work so hard to make sure that my girls will be able to do the same. 

I plead with those of you that are struggling to even just make it every day, to keep up the struggle. I know how tiring it is, and how extremely painful it can all be. But you can do it. I know you can. Jesus went through it, so He could really say, "I know how you feel. Let me help you." 

Let Him help you. Let Him love you. Let Him change you, and alleviate the pain and suffering you know all too well. It will all feel lighter, more livable. He will carry your burden with you, and it will be a lighter load. 

God wins. He is triumphant. And you can be, too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

33 Weeks down... How many more to go?

Well this past week has flown by, at least with the growth and development of our baby girl. Other than weighing a bit more than what she should be at this point (thanks to the gestational diabetes), she’s been fairly cooperative with the doctors. Other than making antenatal nurses madly chase her around my belly with fetal monitors to just check and see if she’s active, she is passing her tests with flying colors. I have been very impressed with the medical care that I’ve received over these past few weeks. These doctors and nurses don’t mess around; they get me the help that I need before I even know that I am in need of something. I have a few assignments; fax in my blood sugars every three days and start a bout of insulin shots, which is, ironically, a blessing. The best thing about all of the blood sugar hoopla is that it’s not my fault! I have been doing my job, but apparently the placenta is not making me look good. At least doctors are blaming something other than me! Rob a

Seven Months and counting

Rob and I have had many adventures being married for over seven years; we have traveled the world, seen and done many fun and exciting things. However, nothing has added up to the excitement that we feel waiting for the birth of our beautiful princess, our baby girl. Rob and I have started to prepare ourselves for the pains that come with the blessing of having a baby, and also the lack of sleep (which is my most favorite thing in the whole world to do :( We painted her bedroom purple (if you know me well, you wouldn't be too surprised about the color choice), and my darling artistic husband drew a castle on one wall (freehand, thank you very much). It's a good thing one of us knows how to draw... Anyway, this blog is to document, from here on out, our newest adventure. In addition, I literally have family all over the globe that is curious and excited about our new addition (especially my parents and in-laws as we waited FOREVER to procreate, according them them:). We are coun

New teeth, and new taste!

Giada has finally got a full little chicklet smile on the front of her mouth! She cut the two top front teeth just a couple of days ago. However, I believe that there are more coming in, because other than being her cute and happy self, she's been a little extra fussy (and drool-y). Her favorite thing to do? Try to bite Mom and Dad's noses and cheeks! She thinks it's hilarious when we pull away in pain. And don't even get me started on the cat. The poor thing gets tufts of fur yanked out every day. It's also a good thing that her tail is so firmly attached. How do we know that for sure? Gia's tried to pull it off, almost every day. Poor cat. But, before you go feeling too sorry for her, just remember that the cat holds her own. She's pawed and pounced on Gia a number of times to let her know whose still the boss at the house (or at least that's what she believes. That's okay...a delusional cat is a happy cat). On another note, Giada's palate f