Skip to main content

Good Entertainment

 Have you been so completely disappointed in shows lately? And then, because of COVID, the movie theaters and movies that I have been so looking forward to are being pushed back to 2021 (we hope!), makes it even more depressing.

So, about four years ago, I realized that one of the reasons why my depression/anxiety was so bad (I've had it all my life), was because I would mindlessly watch whatever. I was mindful of movie ratings, but for the most part, if the rating was acceptable, then whatever in it was 'acceptable'. But after a time, I started to experience weird mood swings, my thoughts were going to dark and weird places and my overall mood was affected. And, to make it even more interesting; I was managing my father's movie theater at the time, and so movies were free, and I would watch whatever was playing, because...why not, right? FREE!!

Anyway, after a steady diet of whatever I was watching, I finally had a "Come to Jesus" moment with myself. I started doing the mental checklist of things that I was doing, that were NOT helping my mental health. My television and movie viewing was at the top of that checklist. It was there that I decided to start my improvements.

I have realized over the years that I am an 'All or Nothing' kind of gal. I cold turkey quit soda (for no real reason at all whatsoever) back in 1999 and haven't really been back to that since, so I figured that's what I would do. Instead of just filtering out shows and movies for content, I just quit everything altogether. 

It worked...for a few months. I am an avid reader, so I just supplemented my entertaining hours with that. I even 'cleaned' up what types of books I read; to make sure that I was filtering out unnecessary things that I was dumping into my brain. That was working beautifully. 

I was dutifully chugging along, when COVID hit, and then we were all at home, quarantined. My books ran out, the library was closed, and I am too cheap to buy ebooks or subscribe to audible, etc. I reread some of my favorite spiritual favorites (Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage is AWESOME!!)

I was sick and tired of watching what my kids watched, and I craved to fill evening times with something. So, my husband and I went back and revisited some 'older' shows. Some of our favorites are: 

Psych

Chuck

Monk

All three of those shows started out so clean; hardly any swearing or even innuendo. And then, after a couple of seasons, I started to notice the occasionally additions of unsavory things, and my anxiety started to make me crazy. So, after watching the last episode of the last show, we decided to stop again. 

Don't get me wrong; I watch stuff. We have a television and a DVD player, and a Firestick. But instead of sitting down and binge watching show after show after show and knowing in the back of my mind that I'd regret it all the next day, I began to be more mindful of what I was doing. 

Anyway, I'm not meaning to preach...just sharing my journey. But, this topic came to my mind as I found myself commiserating with friends that it's just, like, impossible to find good entertainment nowadays, and I feel like I should scrap it all together sometimes. Also, don't even get me started on my social media problem! Occasionally unplugging from that has been a total godsend!

So, working towards cleaning out my brain has taken up most of the end months of quarantine. In addition, I have made dietary changes and I exercise (I HATE to exercise, not gonna lie), and I have seen a huge difference. More clarity of thought. Calmer mood. I can feel God's peace more poignantly. 

Now, if I can only get my next novel finished...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

33 Weeks down... How many more to go?

Well this past week has flown by, at least with the growth and development of our baby girl. Other than weighing a bit more than what she should be at this point (thanks to the gestational diabetes), she’s been fairly cooperative with the doctors. Other than making antenatal nurses madly chase her around my belly with fetal monitors to just check and see if she’s active, she is passing her tests with flying colors. I have been very impressed with the medical care that I’ve received over these past few weeks. These doctors and nurses don’t mess around; they get me the help that I need before I even know that I am in need of something. I have a few assignments; fax in my blood sugars every three days and start a bout of insulin shots, which is, ironically, a blessing. The best thing about all of the blood sugar hoopla is that it’s not my fault! I have been doing my job, but apparently the placenta is not making me look good. At least doctors are blaming something other than me! Rob a

Seven Months and counting

Rob and I have had many adventures being married for over seven years; we have traveled the world, seen and done many fun and exciting things. However, nothing has added up to the excitement that we feel waiting for the birth of our beautiful princess, our baby girl. Rob and I have started to prepare ourselves for the pains that come with the blessing of having a baby, and also the lack of sleep (which is my most favorite thing in the whole world to do :( We painted her bedroom purple (if you know me well, you wouldn't be too surprised about the color choice), and my darling artistic husband drew a castle on one wall (freehand, thank you very much). It's a good thing one of us knows how to draw... Anyway, this blog is to document, from here on out, our newest adventure. In addition, I literally have family all over the globe that is curious and excited about our new addition (especially my parents and in-laws as we waited FOREVER to procreate, according them them:). We are coun

New teeth, and new taste!

Giada has finally got a full little chicklet smile on the front of her mouth! She cut the two top front teeth just a couple of days ago. However, I believe that there are more coming in, because other than being her cute and happy self, she's been a little extra fussy (and drool-y). Her favorite thing to do? Try to bite Mom and Dad's noses and cheeks! She thinks it's hilarious when we pull away in pain. And don't even get me started on the cat. The poor thing gets tufts of fur yanked out every day. It's also a good thing that her tail is so firmly attached. How do we know that for sure? Gia's tried to pull it off, almost every day. Poor cat. But, before you go feeling too sorry for her, just remember that the cat holds her own. She's pawed and pounced on Gia a number of times to let her know whose still the boss at the house (or at least that's what she believes. That's okay...a delusional cat is a happy cat). On another note, Giada's palate f